Thursday, February 22, 2007

Late night with Chef Sleepless

At night I can't sleep
I toss and turn
Candlesticks in the dark
Visions of bodies bein' burned
Four walls closin' in getting bigger
I'm paranoid, sleepin' with my finger on the trigger

--Mind Playing Tricks on Me, Geto Boys

That's right, it's nearly 3 AM and I can't sleep, thank you so much Excedrin Migraine with extra caffeine. However, since my paranoia is not nearly so bad as that of Scarface, Willie D, or Bushwick Bill, I don't actually have a gun in my hand right now. Which is fortunate, because how else would I be able to type for you? My two readers get a post.

Today, folks, you get a recipe. Since the weather is warming up (in my part of the country, anyway), here's a dish that's easy to make, requires no oven use, and tastes good served cold.

Tuna and White Bean Salad
(Stay with me, this really is good.)

Drain 2 cans of tuna packed in water. Drain and rinse one 14 oz. can white kidney beans (also called cannellini or alubias) and 2 tbsp. capers; add these to tuna. Core and dice 4 Roma tomatoes (a.k.a. pear tomatoes) and add to tuna. Add 2 minced cloves of garlic and 1/2 cup lemon juice. Drizzle with 2-3 tbsp. olive oil. Add 1 cup roughly chopped parsley or cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Toss. Serve on toasted bread OR serve on green salad OR toss with cold pasta.

Yeah, I know, there are lots of sour ingredients. Look at it as an incentive to drink more water, which you need to do anyway in this heat.

(Seriously, that Excedrin killed my headache within ten minutes. But I'm UP.)

No comments: