Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I saw Harry Potter!


I've gotta make this short because I have to start my baking for tomorrow. (Yeah, that's right, I'm having Thanksgiving tomorrow. AND Thursday. So many in-laws, so little time.) So if you haven't seen the movie yet and don't want to be spoiled, stop reading right now.

*********************************

The movie felt rushed. The transition shots did not adequately show the passage of time. Show a season changing, or Halloween, or at least someone dressed in clothes that didn't include a jacket and scarf. Is it always winter there?! Too much was cut for time, but it seemed to be done at the expense of flow. I would have preferred a three-hour movie with better flow and maybe some footage of the actual Quidditch game at the World Cup. We just went from Viktor's grand entrance to the Weasley's after party. I felt kind of ripped off by that.

But I REALLY felt ripped off by the credits. I was promised there would be funny credits. Where were the funny credits!?! But no, all I got was "No Dragons Were Harmed in the Making of This Movie."

What I want to know is, when they introduced Beautiful Hermione, why did they have to make Harry look so captivated by her? We've all ready the sixth book. We know he ends up with Ginny. We know he never develops any romantic feelings for Hermione. So why make it look like he might? *sigh* I guess the director or someone wanted to throw the Harry/Hermione shippers a bone. Whatever.

Awesome stuff:

  • The dragons
  • The Yule Ball
  • The underwater sequence
  • The graveyard scenes
  • The ferret scene
  • Mad-Eye's transformation to that Crouch chump

Also: IMAX is overrated.

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't be seeing Goblet of Fire before it hits DVD, much like many great movies before it. But don't worry, I've read the book. I know how the story goes.

IMAX gives me motion sickness.

So just wondering... why did you put the French version of the poster on your site? You're not actually French merely disguising as a Latina, are you? ;)

Have a Great Thanksgiving!

Sleepless Mama said...

Nilo, Nilo, Nilo. You are just a perfect treasure.

The reason I put the poster up in French is because that is the only version of that particular movie poster that I could find on Google Images.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Hope your wife doesn't go nuts trying to cook with four girls and a new baby in the house. For the love of Heaven, buy a party tray!